If you've been injured in an accident in Georgia, you have up to 2 years to file a personal injury claim. If you decide to file a claim, you'll want to prepare yourself for a number of stages. In some cases, it may take more than a year to reach a resolution. This can prove cumbersome, which is why you may find the help of an Atlanta personal injury lawyer will substantially ease the claims process.
Meeting with Your Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer
During the initial meeting, a lawyer will ask you questions about:
- your injuries;
- insurance; and
- statements you have given to insurance adjusters.
Once an Atlanta personal injury lawyer has compiled this information, they will determine the strength of your claim and whether to represent you. If a lawyer decides to take your case, they will then help you file your Georgia personal injury claim.
Your personal injury claim will:
- identify the parties involved in your accident;
- outline the facts of the claim; and
- include your compensation demands.
The defendant receives this document in the form of a summons. The defendant, most often represented by an insurance company, has the option to answer the summons with a counterclaim.
Finding Facts in Your Georgia Personal Injury Claim
At this point, both parties will investigate the claim with the following information:
- documents related to the case; and
- depositions and sworn statements.
As with all stages of a Georgia personal injury claim, it is in your best interests to be honest and forthcoming with your Atlanta personal injury lawyer during this stage of the case.
Resolving Your Georgia Personal Injury Claim
There are 2 main outcomes to a Georgia personal injury claim, including:
- Settlement - When dealing specifically with car accident injuries, most claims are settled out of court with insurance adjusters.
- Trial/lawsuit - When an insurance company has disputed, undervalued or dismissed your claim, an Atlanta personal injury lawyer can escalate your case to a lawsuit.
Personal injury claims typically end in a settlement offer. An Atlanta personal injury lawyer can make sure your offer reasonably addresses the extent of your injuries, and can represent you through the entire claims process.
Contacting an Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer
If you are the victim of someone else's negligence or carelessness, whether in a traffic accident or some other type of accident, you have certain rights guaranteed by law. To help you understand these rights and seek the compensation you may be eligible for to help get your life back in order, contact the Atlanta Law Offices of Sheryl L. Burke for a no-cost consultation on your injury case.