If you are injured in an Atlanta accident that was caused by someone else's negligence, you may be eligible for compensation from the person or party that was responsible for your injuries. Following this list of "dos and don'ts" will help you and your Atlanta car accident lawyer throughout the proceedings.
There are certain things that you can do - and others that you should avoid - when it comes to dealing with the insurance providers that can augment the likelihood of your personal injury claim's success.
After an Atlanta Accident: Insurance Dos
- Do call your agent after your accident. Once you get home from the accident, contact your insurance agent. It's a good idea to review your coverage policy before you contact him or her.
- Do keep detailed notes about all of your correspondence with your insurance agents. Take down names, phone numbers, and job titles of everyone with whom you speak.
- Do take pictures of your damaged vehicle, property, and injuries if possible. Photographic evidence is very useful in a claim.
- Do be honest with your insurer, but don't provide more information than is necessary and don't allow your adjuster to take a recorded statement. Too frequently, these recorded statements are used against suffering accident victims. Your adjuster can take notes.
- Do keep receipts for all purchases and expenses in connection with pursuing your claim from the time of your accident until your final settlement with the insurance provider.
- Do check for alternative insurance coverage, as you may be eligible for coverage under more than one policy. Check your homeowner's policy, credit cards, and "umbrella" policies.
Following these simple recommendations can mitigate some of the frustration associated with filing an Atlanta accident claim. Always be sure that you contact an Atlanta car accident lawyer before accepting any settlement from an insurance company.
Continue to Next Page >>