When a patient is brought into the hospital with spinal cord injuries after a Georgia motorcycle accident, there are some immediate treatment procedures, designed to minimize damage to the spinal cord, followed by long-term, ongoing treatment, which may last months, years or even a lifetime.
There is no way to reverse the effects of a spinal cord injury. But there are some things medical professionals can do to minimize the damage.
When a patient is taken into the ER with spinal cord injuries, treatment will revolve around:
- keeping up your ability to breathe;
- preventing shock; and
- restricting movement to your neck and spine.
Spinal cord injury treatment will often include:
- Medication - if Methylprednisolone is given within 8 hours of injury, nerve damage and inflammation may be reduced.
- Immobilization - patients will be put in traction to align and stabilize the spine. This is done with metal braces, body harnesses and even special beds.
- Surgery - this may help remove bone fragments or fractured discs.
After the immediate spinal cord injury symptoms are addressed, the focus turns to rehabilitation, therapy and daily living assistance.
Specifically, ongoing treatment may include:
- Rehabilitation - a focus on strengthening muscles and motor skills, as well as improving daily functioning and mobility.
- Medications - you may receive medication designed to reduce pain and muscle spasms and increase bladder and bowel control, as well as sexual functions.
Treatment for a spinal cord injury can be extremely expensive, and you shouldn't be concerned with costs when you're trying to heal. If someone else's negligence behind the wheel caused your motorcycle accident in Georgia and resulting spinal cord injury, contact an Atlanta motorcycle accident lawyer to find out more about how you can receive compensation for your medical care, and more, through a personal injury claim.
Contacting an Atlanta Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you are the victim of someone else's negligence or carelessness, whether in a motorcycle accident or some other type of accident, you have certain rights guaranteed by law. To help you understand these rights and seek the compensation you may be eligible for to help get your life back in order, contact the Atlanta Law Offices of Sheryl L. Burke for a no-cost consultation on your injury case.