If you've been injured in an accident in the Atlanta area, you're not alone. According to the Georgia Department of Transportation, more than 296,000 people in Atlanta sustained injuries in moving motor vehicle accidents from 2000 to 2006. That's more than 50,000 injuries per year, on average.
After an Atlanta Car Accident
The moments after an Atlanta car accident can be chaotic. Nerves may be frayed, which makes clear thinking a challenge. In more severe cases, medical attention may be needed and immediate action may be impossible.
There are a few key steps you can take, along with the help of others, to add credence to a Georgia personal injury claim. Follow these steps after an accident:
- Assess your injuries: If you are hurt, immediately seek medical attention.
- Take notes: It doesn't matter whether you or a willing friend or family member write down the details. Georgia personal injury claims can be lengthy, with many cases lasting longer than 1 year. If you have notes as reference, this may prove more credible than mere memory alone.
- Collect evidence: This includes everything from snapping photos of the scene with your camera phone to collecting clothing found in your vehicle. When dealing with a Georgia personal injury claim, it is of utmost importance to retain the police report, repairs receipts, and medical bills. These documents show the severity of your injuries and property damage.
- Talk to people: Use the police report as a tool to contact witnesses from the scene. Tell them of your plans to open a case. Likewise, you'll want to inform the other party of your plans to file a Georgia personal injury claim against them.
- Hire an Atlanta car accident lawyer: An Atlanta car accident lawyer will help you lay the groundwork of your case. They'll work with you to figure out what is needed to get the compensation you deserve, whether it's gathering more records to build your Georgia personal injury claim, or interviewing key witnesses. In many cases, an Atlanta car accident lawyer can offer a predicted timetable for the case.
The guidance an Atlanta car accident lawyer can provide is invaluable, especially if your injuries interrupt daily activities and threaten financial livelihood.
Continue to Next Page >>