Victims of these types of accidents need to ensure their legal rights are protected. It is important to talk with a Georgia truck accident attorney as soon as you are able, to know what legal options are available to you.
In the meantime, there are 5 basic rules you should remember.
- Get immediate medical attention. Even if the injuries appear to be minor, it is imperative to have a medical record of your physical condition.
- Contact police. One of the first steps you need to take is to call the police. Its best for law enforcement to arrive as quickly as possible so they can assess and document the accident scene before it is compromised.
- Talk as little as possible to the truck driver. An inadvertent comment made to the truck driver, such as “I’m sorry,” may be used against you in a lawsuit.
- Get important information from the truck driver. Things you need are name, address, telephone numbers, driver’s license number and the state it was issued in, license plate, make and model of the truck, and insurance identification.
- Talk to an attorney before discussing anything with the trucking company’s insurance provider. Information you give to the insurance provider may be used to lessen your claim.
You do not have to provide a statement or sign consent forms, especially before consulting with a truck accident attorney.
Contacting a Georgia Truck Accident Attorney for Legal Help
An accident involving a commercial vehicle can change your life. If you are a victim, know what their rights are under the law. Talk with an attorney who can provide you with expert legal advice. Contact the Atlanta Law Offices of Sheryl L. Burke for a no-cost consultation on your case. Call 404-842-7838.