Slip and fall injuries occur in a variety of places under many different circumstances. They occur at the most random of times and are impossible to predict, and there is no way to predict how severe the injuries sustained from a slip and fall are.
In some cases, slip and falls result in nothing more than a bruised ego. In many others, slip and fall accident victims receive debilitating life-changing injuries. Many of these do not begin to manifest themselves until days and sometimes weeks, after your fall. However, there are certain slip and fall injuries and symptoms to watch for.
Head injuries are a common result of a slip and fall. It is common for people to simply experience general head pain rather than symptoms which indicate something more serious. If you begin experiencing one of the following, it may indicate a concussion:
- Intense headaches: As mentioned above, you may feel pain in your head following a slip and fall. However, if that head pain comes in the form of sudden, very intense headaches, it is possible there is more going on than you realize.
- Dizziness: Experiencing sudden spells of dizziness is also a symptom of a potential concussion. Particularly if dizziness pairs with a loss of balance.
- Nausea: Sudden fits of nausea are also common to victims with head injuries. If you feel sick and even throw up, this is a cause for concern.
- Low energy: Many slip and fall accident victims report feeling listless after their injury. If you feel a decline in your energy level, or even feel like doing nothing, this is a potential sign of a concussion.
Neck injuries happen with slip and fall accidents. These injuries vary in pain level and pain location. The following is a list of neck injury symptoms you may experience after a slip and fall accident:
- Numbness and tingling in the arms and hands: These symptoms may indicate whiplash. People usually think of fender benders in association with whiplash, but it can also occur in slip and falls. Sudden head movements cause whiplash. Whiplash is essentially a type of neck strain, and it leads to numbness, tingling in the arms, and even disturbed sleep.
- Pain in the neck: Neck pain can indicate a neck sprain. Neck sprains occur because of injured ligaments in an accident. Loss of flexibility, pain, and swelling are among the symptoms associated with neck sprains.
- Neck spasms: A kink in the neck is not a specific injury, but refers to spasms you may feel after a slip and fall.
- Pain in the shoulder and neck: Shoulder and neck pain can be a sign of nerve damage. This injury commonly occurs when you fall backward but land on your side. It feels like a sharp stinging in the neck area. In addition to stinging, symptoms include numbness, weakness, and a burning sensation in one arm. While the symptoms are initially mild, it can eventually develop into a more serious injury.
As you would expect, back injuries occur frequently following slip and fall accidents. These injuries manifest themselves in a few different ways, and the following are some symptoms to look out for:
- Arm or back pain/numbness or weakness in the arm or leg: This can indicate a herniated disc. Herniated discs typically develop because of long-term wear and tear. However, sudden impacts can cause them as well. Numbness and weakness is a common result of herniated discs. That feeling of numbness and weakness usually occurs in the arms.
- Muscle weakness, lack of feeling in extremties: Spinal cord injuries occur because of an injury to the neck. This is a very serious injury and happens when a dislocation in the neck damages the spinal cord. People who suffer this injury often are paralyzed, and even die in some cases.
Seek Medical Attention Right Away
If you were involved in a slip and fall recently, we hope you seek medical attention as soon as possible -- even if you have no symptoms. It is possible your body is simply experiencing a delayed reaction to your fall.
If you feel negligence contributed to your slip and fall, we also encourage you to call S. Burke Law. S. Burke Law prides itself on representing the victims in personal injury claims. Our consultations are free, so there is no commitment on your part. Call us at 404-842-7838.
Call an Atlanta Personal Injury Attorney
Slip and fall injuries are as surprising as they can be severe. Watch out for back injuries, neck injuries, and head injuries as all three are slip and fall injury symptoms to watch for.
No one expects to fall when doing something as routine as walking. We definitely do not consider the possibility that we could sustain a serious injury while walking, but falls do happen, and the injuries can be severe. We encourage you to seek medical attention immediately. Once checked out by a doctor, you may consider legal action.
S. Burke Law can help you through all the stages of a personal injury claim. If you are interested in discussing a potential claim, call our office. Our consultations are free, and you can reach us at 404-842-7838.