When you are the victim of a hit and run, especially one that involves serious injuries, it can be an upending experience. You might feel alone and scared. Fortunately, you have a team of caring professionals on your side. Call S. Burke Law today for a free consultation with a hit and run lawyer in Atlanta: 404-842-7838. We can help you determine your options for compensation.

What Should I Do Following a Hit and Run Accident?

If you have been involved in an accident where a driver fled the scene, there are two important things you must do:

  • Call 911. This will ensure there is a report of the accident and it will get you the medical care you need.
  • Resist the urge to chase the driver. It can be difficult to stay put when someone was reckless enough to injure you and then flee the scene; however, chasing the driver can put you and other drivers in more danger.

Note the following for officers:

  • The vehicle’s make, model, and color.
  • The general direction it was heading.
  • Where the vehicle impacted your vehicle. (This may help officers identify corresponding damage on the runaway driver’s vehicle.)
  • The license plate number

If there were any witnesses present, speak to them. They may help you gather the information you need to find the driver and seek damages for the accident. And that information would be invaluable evidence for S. Burke Law to present on your behalf.

Officers will attempt to find the driver, but in many cases, they are unable to do so.

Officers Could Not Find the Driver. Who Pays for My Injuries?

This is the worst-case scenario, but unfortunately a very real one. In this case, you will have to collect damages from your own insurance company.

Depending on your insurance policy, you might have two options:

  • Your uninsured motorist insurance (UM) policy (UM).
  • Your MedPay policy

UM policies provide coverage in accidents involving uninsured drivers. This coverage extends to hit and run accidents as well. While Georgia law does not require drivers to purchase UM coverage, you must reject it in writing. If you do not remember rejecting it, you likely have it.

If you do not have UM coverage, you may be able to use your MedPay coverage if you purchased it.

A last resort may be to use your health insurance; however, we must first determine whether a car accident is a coverage exemption on your insurance policy.

When you work with the team at S. Burke Law, we will examine your insurance policies and determine your options.

How Do I Recover Compensation from My Own Insurer?

To recover compensation through your UM or MedPay policy, you will need to file a claim and submit the police report substantiating the accident.

While that seems easy enough, you might face some hurdles along the way. Insurers are businesses, and as such, will do what they can to avoid paying out full compensation to accident victims.

This is true even if it is your own insurer. Yes, your insurer should be looking out for your best interests — after all, you pay your premiums on time each month and have been a loyal customer.

Unfortunately, your insurer might not reciprocate that loyalty. Fortunately, you have an insider in your corner. Sheryl Burke knows the tactics insurance adjusters might use to devalue or deny your claim because she used to be one. Now, she uses that knowledge to protect injured accident victims and their right to compensation.

How Much Can I Collect in Damages?

The dollar amounts you can expect to collect vary depending on the nature and severity of your hit and run accident. However, there are a few types of damages that are relative constants in hit and run accidents.

  • Medical Expenses: The total cost of medical bills including ambulance fees, hospital stays, medication, and physical therapy.
  • Vehicle Repair or Reimbursement: Depending on the severity of the accident, you may be able to claim reimbursement for the value of your vehicle if the vehicle is a total loss after your accident.
  • Lost Wages: Total amount of money you would have made had you not missed time at work due to your injury.
  • Lost Earning Potential: You can also recover compensation for wages you would have earned had your injuries not kept you from working.
  • Pain and Suffering: Every accident is stressful and hit and runs are no exception. If your accident caused excessive pain and suffering, we can claim these damages in addition to medical losses on your behalf.

Get Help from an Atlanta Accident Attorney Today

Car accidents are not an easy time for anyone. But S. Burke Law understands how being involved in a hit and run can leave you at a loss for words. We hope to help you retrieve the damages you deserve.

Call us today to schedule a free consultation: 404-842-7838. And remember, we work on a contingency basis, which means you pay nothing unless you are able to recover compensation.