Any building that is open to customers has a duty of care to provide a reasonably safe environment for those customers. This is especially true of pharmacies and other health care facilities, where people go to improve their health and wellness. When unsafe conditions cause a slip and fall accident in a pharmacy, the responsible party may be liable for any resulting injuries.
Pharmacies always have a duty of care to maintain safe conditions. To do this, they must regularly clean floors, keep aisles free from clutter, routinely check for spilled liquids and other slippery substances, and place warning signs around spills and other hazardous conditions until they are cleaned up.
Common Causes of Pharmacy Slip and Fall Accidents
Falls are the leading cause of accidental death in this country. More than 800,000 people seek hospital treatment for their fall injuries every year. Although falls can happen to anyone, anywhere, negligence is commonly a contributing factor.
Negligence can lead to serious injuries or death when a customer slips and falls in a pharmacy. Some of the most common causes of these accidents include:
- Tripping over clutter in aisles: When boxes, medicines, and durable medical equipment fall off shelves and are not promptly picked up, they can pose a tripping hazard.
- Slipping on a spilled substance: When a bottle of liquid falls and breaks or a customer spills her soda on the floor, the spill should be promptly cleaned up, and a warning sign should be placed beside the spill until it is removed.
- Tripping over uneven or crumpled floor mats, or otherwise uneven or cracked flooring: If misplaced floor mats or unsafe flooring cause you harm, you may be able to obtain compensation for any resulting damages.
- Falling due to poor lighting in store aisles: Considering that elderly customers often frequent pharmacies and that many of these customers may have poor eyesight, good lighting is essential.
- Slipping on water that was tracked into the store’s entrance due to snowy, icy, or rainy conditions outside: When the weather is bad, the entrance should be kept safe with mats for extra traction, and regular cleaning of excess wetness.
At S. Burke Law, we handle all types of personal injuries, including those caused by pharmacy slip and fall accidents. Our legal team will review your case to determine the best legal strategy, and we will ensure that you understand your rights and options before moving forward in any direction.
We have obtained compensation for our clients in all types of slip and fall cases. Contact us today at 404-842-7838 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.
Filing a Lawsuit for a Pharmacy Slip and Fall Accident
It is the responsibility of pharmacy management and employees, and sometimes of the property owner, to ensure that the environment is free from hazardous conditions. If any of the responsible parties fail to uphold this duty of care, they may be liable for damages suffered.
If you were injured in a pharmacy slip and fall accident, it is important to take action as soon as possible.
- If there are witnesses around at the time of the accident, ask for their contact information.
- If you can do so, take pictures of the scene of the accident. Pay attention to any visible injuries and the cause of the accident (i.e., a slippery substance on the floor).
- Request immediate medical attention. Even if injuries are not immediately apparent, having a record of medical treatment could be immensely helpful if you decide to file a lawsuit. Further, many injuries do not present symptoms for days or weeks. This is especially true of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) which are frequently caused by falls. Falls are the leading cause of TBIs.
- Call a personal injury lawyer. The last thing you should be worried about right now is gathering evidence and dealing with a lawsuit. Let the legal team at S. Burke Law handle this for you. You may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
Contact Us Today
As a child, attorney Sheryl L. Burke was a victim of the criminal justice system. At an early age, she decided to use this traumatic experience to help others. Since 1995, S. Burke Law has been committed to justice and the fair treatment of all. If you have been the victim of a pharmacy slip and fall accident, our knowledgeable legal team will help you seek the maximum compensation you are entitled to.
Contact S. Burke Law today at 404-842-7838 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.