The insurance that covers your slip and fall accident depends on where it occurred. Below, we discuss which insurance policies cover injuries from a slip and fall accident at/on:

  • A business
  • Work
  • A private residence
  • An apartment complex
  • Government-owned property

Business Insurance Policies Cover Slip and Fall Accidents at a Business

Every business carries commercial property insurance of some sort. Let us say you slipped and fell at a store on a wet floor which had no visible wet floor sign. In this case, the supermarket’s business insurance would cover your medical expenses.

The one exception which may change matters a bit is if a third-party or vendor contributed to your injury. Let us say that you slipped and fell because a vendor spilled a carton of milk while stocking shelves at the supermarket. You may be able to draw funds from the vendor’s insurance as well.

Workers’ Compensation Covers Slip and Falls at Work

Your employer must carry insurance coverages to protect its employees. In the case of a slip and fall while on the clock, your employer’s workers’ compensation covers you. Worker’s compensation covers your reasonable medical expenses and a portion of your lost wages.

Note: If your employer carries workers’ compensation, you cannot sue your employer for any injuries you sustain in a slip and fall, regardless of whether he was at-fault.

Homeowner’s Insurance Policies Cover Slip and Fall Injuries at A Friend’s House

Slipping and falling at a private residence is usually straightforward.

If you slip and fall at a friend’s house, you would likely file a claim with the friend’s homeowner’s insurance.

Renter’s Insurance May Cover a Slip and Fall in an Apartment or Rented Home

Things may get a bit more complicated if you slip and fall at a rented home or apartment. Depending on where the slip and fall occurred, you may file a claim with the person’s renter’s insurance.

However, if you fell in a common area, such as the parking lot or a stairwell, you would likely file a claim with the property management company’s commercial property insurance.

Insurance for a Slip and Fall Injury on Government Property

If you suffered an injury on government-owned property, such as a park, you may be able to recover compensation from the state. However, there are various rules you must follow to recover the compensation. If you make a mistake or miss a deadline, you might find yourself out of luck.

What If the Business or Homeowner Did Not Have Insurance?

If the business or individual failed to purchase liability insurance, we may be able to sue it, taking the at-fault party to court and winning the damages you deserve.

What Do I Have to Do to Recover Compensation After a Slip and Fall Accident?

To recover damages from an insurance company, you must prove that another party’s negligence caused your injury. So, your slip and fall must occur due to negligence on the part of the property owner or renter. To prove this, you must establish the following:

  • The at-fault party knew or should have known of the hazard (e.g., the property manager knew about a broken handrail.)
  • The at-fault party did nothing to remedy the hazard (e.g., the property manager ignored the broken handrail and did not warn those who might use the handrail.)
  • The hazard caused your injuries (e.g., you fell down the stairs after the handrail fell off the wall).

Call an Atlanta Slip and Fall Accident Attorney

Determining what insurance covers your slip and fall accident injuries can be difficult. The team at S. Burke Law has handled countless slip and fall accidents in the last two decades. We can help you review your options for compensation and help you build a strong case to recover your damages.

And because we handle all cases on a contingency basis, you do not pay anything upfront. In fact, you only pay us a percentage of your settlement if you win your case.

Our slip and fall accident attorney wants to help you recover the compensation you need after a slip and fall accident. The team at S. Burke Law understands that filing a personal injury claim is not a simple decision and can feel like more trouble than you are prepared to deal with. However, we will handle the entire case from start to finish, determining which party was liable, gathering evidence, building your case, and negotiating with insurers, even taking your case to court if necessary.

Call today to discuss your case with our slip and fall accident team for free: 404-842-7838.