Even if you’re an experienced biker who can handle a motorcycle and understands the rules of the road in Georgia, that doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be safe from sustaining serious, if not fatal, injuries in a crash caused by a negligent driver. However, you may be able to collect compensation through an injury claim with the guidance of a motorcycle accident lawyer.
There are many situations where a driver may negligently crash their vehicle into a motorcycle, such as:
- failing to abide by posted traffic laws;
- moving into an intersection as a motorcycle is driving through it;
- failing to yield the proper right of way;
- pulling out of a driveway into an oncoming motorcycle’s path;
- swerving into the path of a motorcyclist;
- failing to notice a motorcyclist when passing another vehicle or changing lanes;
- drug or alcohol impairment; and/or
- distracted driving, primarily because of text messaging or cell phone use.
Liability in Georgia Motorcycle Accidents
Drivers may be held legally liable for motorcycle accidents if their behavior is deemed to be careless. For example, a driver can be held accountable if the driver wasn’t practicing reasonable care toward the occupants on the bike.
Motorcycle accidents can change victims’ lives forever. It’s important to understand the rights accident victims have in cases of negligence or carelessness. If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact the Atlanta Law Offices of Sheryl L. Burke for a no-cost consultation at 404-842-7838.