The following are some examples of when you may want to work with an Atlanta personal injury attorney:
- If you have been seriously injured. This includes injuries that are serious, permanent, or life-altering. Minor injuries can usually be settled with an insurance company without a lawyer's intervention.
- If there are multiple parties involved in the accident. Determining accident liability in this situation can be confusing, and an Atlanta personal injury attorney can help you determine who is liable for your accident and resulting damage.
- If you have lost a loved one.
In cases of serious injury and death, having legal representation on your side is important as insurance companies have teams of insurance adjusters and legal counsel on their side all fighting to keep the company's bottom line in tact, to not pay you what you actually deserve for your injuries or the loss you have sustained.
Which attorney is best for me?
If you want to file a Georgia personal injury claim, you will want to work with an Atlanta personal injury attorney who has handled cases similar to yours and understands the intricacies involved in both negotiating a fair settlement and taking your case to trial if necessary.
If you interview an Atlanta personal injury attorney who has never successfully handled a car accident case from start to finish, you may want to speak with another attorney.
If you are considering a specific Atlanta personal injury attorney for your Georgia personal injury claim, here are a few things you'll want to learn before you retain their services:
- the actual attorney from the firm who will be handling your case (in many cases the lawyer who you interview will not be handling your case, which means a more inexperienced lawyer may be assigned);
- how many cases they have handled and won that are similar to yours; and
- the attorney's fees and any other legal fees (such as hiring experts to testify) that you may incur.
Many Atlanta personal injury attorneys take cases on a contingent fee basis. Fees collected typically average up to 40% of your personal injury award amount. Even with the fees, those who work with an experienced personal injury lawyer often recover more compensation than those who handle their claims on their own.
Contacting an Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer
If you are the victim of someone else's negligence or carelessness, you have certain rights guaranteed by law. To help you understand these rights and seek the compensation you may be eligible for to help get your life back in order, contact the Atlanta Law Offices of Sheryl L. Burke for a no-cost consultation on your injury case.