If you've been injured in a Georgia car accident, you have the right to seek compensation through a Georgia personal injury claim. It's only after you and your Atlanta personal injury lawyer prove the other party's liability for the accident that you may receive a settlement offer. This is where your claim can take a major nosedive - if you can't recognize a good settlement offer, you may accept a severely undervalued claim.
An Atlanta personal injury lawyer can not only recognize a reasonable settlement offer, but can negotiate with insurance adjusters in the case that your claim has been underestimated. You've taken the first big step just by hiring a personal injury lawyer. On average, personal injury settlements for injury or death are 2 to 3 times higher with the help of a lawyer.
An Atlanta personal injury lawyer will assess a variety of factors to determine a reasonable settlement offer for your case. Some of those factors include:
- the dollar amount of your case (per lawyer estimates);
- outcomes of similar cases;
- likelihood your case would win at trial;
- the defendant's insurance coverage;
- the defendant's income (or monetary resources);
- any missing evidence (this applies to you and the defendant);
- the money your lawyer would recoup in fees; and
- the minimum settlement you would accept.
Types of Settlements in a Georgia Personal Injury Settlement
There are 2 main categories of personal injury settlements, including:
- Structured Settlement -This would be paid over several years, or for the rest or your life. This entitles you to annuities and tax breaks. The money in annuities is professionally managed.
- Lump Sum Settlements -This would be paid to you all at once.
Talk with your Atlanta personal injury lawyer about a settlement structure that works best for you. Ultimately, your attorney's ability to build a strong Georgia personal injury claim that proves the true extent of your injuries will impact your settlement offer.
Contacting an Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer
If you are the victim of someone else's negligence or carelessness, whether in a traffic accident or some other accident, you have certain rights guaranteed by law. To help you understand these rights and seek the compensation you may be eligible for to help get your life back in order, contact the Atlanta Law Offices of Sheryl L. Burke for a no-cost consultation on your injury case.