Motorcyclists involved in accidents are at a heightened risk for burn injuries, whether from direct contact with the road or from exposure to gas, battery acid, or other fluid.

How Do I Know If My Burn Is Serious?

Doctors measure burns in degrees. First-degree burns are the least serious, while third- and fourth-degree burns require immediate medical treatment. To determine whether you might need medical treatment, examine your burn for the following characteristics.

  • First-degree burns: Red, painful skin (First-degree burns do not blister. If your burn has blisters, you have a second-degree burn.)
  • Second-degree burns: Blisters and some thickening of the skin
  • Third-degree burns: Widespread, charred skin, thick with a leathery appearance
  • Fourth-degree burns: Similar to third degree burns, except the damage can extend to the bones and tendons (there may or not be pain with third- and fourth-degree burns as the damage can extend to the nerves)

Is Road Rash Different?

Road rash is another type of “burn;” however, the causes and complications of road rash are much different than a typical burn.

Doctors also measure road rash in degrees:

First Degree: This injury is identifiable by any small cuts and scrapes on your skin. You may also notice that your skin is a bit reddened. First-degree road rash injuries are not serious and do not typically require attention from medical professionals. These injuries typically heal on their own.

Second Degree: Similar to first-degree road rash, however, the top layer of your skin breaks. While scarring is possible, simple treatments should adequately treat your wounds. You can find most of what you need over the counter. However, if you are unsure about the severity of your burn, it is a good idea to get medical attention to ensure proper cleaning and care of your injury.

Third Degree: The most severe of road rash injuries, third-degree road rash occurs when your skin completely peels away. These injuries often involve breaking five layers of skin, down to the fat. The most severe abrasions will expose muscle, tendons, bones, and nerves.

What Treatment Might My Burn Require?

Depending on the severity of your injuries, your burns can either require light bandaging or immediate medical attention. As you likely gathered from the list above, the severity of burn injuries escalates with each degree.

So, for first- and maybe even second-degree motorcycle burn injuries, you can probably treat yourself with home remedies.

The first thing you should do for burns is run the area under cool (not cold) water to bring the temperature down.

For road rash, you should run your injury under water to remove any debris and then gently clean the area with soap.

Your injuries should heal within a few weeks with some gauze and antibacterial ointment.

But third- and fourth-degree burns and road rash always require immediate medical attention. You should not touch your burn or road rash injury until you receive medical attention. You might need surgery or skin grafts to recover from your burn injuries. You will likely spend days or even weeks in the hospital.

Can I Recover Compensation for My Burn Injuries from a Motorcycle Accident?

Treatment costs can be extremely expensive, especially if you sustained a third- or fourth-degree burn. If there were any complications or if the burn left you disabled, you may have been unable to return to work.

If another party’s negligence caused your motorcycle accident, you may be able to hold that party liable for the costs you incurred.

You must be able to prove that the other party’s negligent behavior was the cause of your accident and injuries. Unfortunately, many insurance companies believe motorcycle riders are reckless and may be unwilling to pay you the compensation you deserve.

Sheryl Burke knows the tricks these insurers might try to use — because she used to work for insurance companies. She knows how to anticipate and defend against these tricks to get you the compensation you need.

Involved in an Accident? Call an Atlanta Motorcycle Accident Attorney

Nothing curbs the rush of riding a motorcycle like getting into an accident. And suffering burn injuries and road rash only exacerbates this. If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, we may be able to help.  

Reach out to S. Burke Law at 404-842-7838 for a free consultation today.