If you have been in an accident, the answer to whether you would have to reimburse your health insurance company for your medical bills is, it depends.

In short, if your insurance company is regulated under Georgia law, chances are, you will usually not have to pay back your medical bills. If your health plan is regulated under federal law, you may be required to use your claim to reimburse payments made by your insurer. 

Georgia-Regulated Insurance Plans

Under the state's Reimbursement Statue that dates to 1997, the only time a Georgia-regulated health insurance company can request reimbursement for medical expenses is if the person was already fully compensated for injuries from a liable party. This statute is based on whether or not you as the accident victim were "made whole" by your compensation. Your Atlanta personal injury lawyer can explain how this may affect your claim.

Federally Regulated Insurance Plans

In the case of federally regulated health insurance plans, such as a self-funded ERISA plan, Medicare, or Medicaid, you may be required to pay the insurance company for your medical bills. The only consolation is federally regulated programs can reduce, or even release your medical bills.

What an Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer Can Do To Help Your Claim

If you've been in a car accident, you may want to at least consult with an Atlanta personal injury lawyer to discuss the possibility of a Georgia personal injury claim. In addition to seeking damages to address your medical expenses, an Atlanta personal injury lawyer may also be able to seek compensation for lost wages and non-monetary damages, such as pain and suffering.

Contacting an Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer

If you are the victim of someone else's negligence or carelessness, whether in a traffic accident or some other type of accident, you have certain rights guaranteed by law. To help you understand these rights and seek the compensation you may be eligible for to help get your life back in order, contact the Atlanta Law Offices of Sheryl L. Burke for a no-cost consultation on your injury case.