Were you or a loved one the victim of a negligent property owner? A premises liability injury in Alpharetta, Georgia, may entitle you to compensatory damages. S. Burke Law would like to help you fight for those damages. Our firm works on a contingency-fee basis. You will not pay us any fees until you receive a settlement.


Hiring a lawyer to manage your case


After an accident, it is understandable if you just want to stay home and spend time with your family. This does not have to stop you from pursuing damages. Once you have received medical treatment for your premises liability injury in Alpharetta, Georgia, our team can do the following for you, including:

  • Investigate the accident: It is important to support your lawsuit with corroborating evidence from as many sources as possible.
  • Manage paperwork: When a form needs to be filed, or notification needs to be sent, your lawyer will make sure it gets done on time.
  • Communicate with the liable party: Your lawyer will speak to the liable party on your behalf and let you know if they have anything to say to you.
  • Negotiate a settlement agreement: We will make sure that any settlement the insurance company offers is fair.
  • Represent you at trial: Not all cases need to go to court. If yours does, you can rely on your lawyer to prepare and present your case.

In addition, we understand that filing a lawsuit can be stressful and confusing, especially for someone still recovering from an injury. We strive to make the process less daunting by:

  • Exploring and explaining your options: There may be multiple ways to approach your case. Your lawyer will go over them with you in as much detail as you want.
  • Helping you make decisions: In addition to explaining your options, we will help you figure out which one is best for you.
  • Prioritizing your needs: This is your case, and we work for you. Please contact us as often as you need to.
  • Charging nothing upfront: We work on a contingent-fee basis, so you only pay us once we secure compensation for you.

How to list and quantify your damages


Damages may be available for various losses and expenses you experienced. Your injuries may have affected you:

  • Physically
  • Mentally
  • Professionally
  • Financially

Financial damages


You may qualify for economic damages if your injuries negatively affected your financial situation. Examples of economic damages include:

  • Medical expenses: Your injuries required treatment or will require treatment in the future.
  • Lost wages: You could not execute your professional duties for days, weeks, or longer because of your injuries.
  • Lost earning capacity: Your injuries have permanently impaired your ability to support yourself and your family.

Non-financial damages


Non-economic damages serve as direct compensation for your injuries themselves. They can include both physical and emotional injuries. Examples of non-economic damages include:

  • Pain and suffering: The injuries caused you physical pain or mental stress.
  • Diminished quality of life: You now need help with tasks you could do independently before, or can no longer engage in your favorite hobbies.
  • Disability: You will never regain all of the physical and/or intellectual capabilities you once had.

Damages in wrongful death cases


In wrongful death cases, you may qualify for additional damages, such as:

  • Lost financial support: You can ask for reimbursement for the income your deceased loved one would have contributed to your household had they survived.
  • Loss of companionship: If your loved one passed away from their accident injury, you can seek compensation for the fact that they are no longer in your life.

Valuing your damages


For each individual damage that you sue for, you must assign a dollar value. This may be as simple as checking the total on a hospital bill or as difficult as figuring out how much money your psychological trauma is “worth.” It is important to get these values right so that:

  • The insurance company does not get a chance to undermine or find fault with your claim
  • You get every penny that your injuries entitle you to

S. Burke Law would be happy to help you calculate the exact amounts of compensation you should sue for. We can also help you with all other aspects of your case.


When to sue a property owner


Premises liability boils down to the following questions:

  • Was the property owner responsible for your safety? In other words, were you a lawful visitor as defined by O.C.G.A. § 51-3-1 OR a licensee as defined by O.C.G.A. § 51-3-2?
  • Is the property owner responsible for your injuries? In other words, did they fail in their duty to keep you safe?

If you can prove that the answer to both of these questions is “yes,” then you may be able to collect damages. The type and severity of the accident are irrelevant in this regard. You can sue for injuries caused by:

  • Slippery spots
  • Broken or absent handrails
  • Broken stairs
  • Dog attacks
  • Swimming pool accidents
  • Falling objects
  • Other types of accidents

Don’t wait to seek legal representation


To take advantage of your right to sue, you must start your case within two years of the accident. This is according to O.C.G.A. § 9-3-33. If you start too late, it no longer matters if the property owner is responsible for your injuries: you do not have the right to file a lawsuit.


If you suffered a premises liability injury in Alpharetta, Georgia, call (404) 842-7838 to get in touch with S. Burke Law. Feel free to call any time, day or night: a member of our team is always available to assess your case at no cost or obligation to you.