If you or a loved one sustained an injury on another person’s property in College Park, Georgia, a premises liability injury lawyer on our team could represent you in your fight for compensation. We aim to make the legal process easier and more accessible for people just like you.


There are two main reasons for filing a lawsuit: to hold the liable party accountable for their carelessness and to recover compensation for your medical bills, the cost of living, and more.


Why hire a lawyer to help me with my lawsuit?


There are multiple benefits to hiring a premises liability injury lawyer from S. Burke Law. Doing so can help with:

  • The legal process: Filing and managing a lawsuit can be time-consuming and emotionally draining. Some cases take months or years to resolve.
  • The insurance company: The liable party’s insurer is responsible for paying your damages. They will likely resist the idea of paying what you deserve, but our team will fight hard for your financial recovery.
  • Your health: Going it alone puts more stress on you and your family at a time when you should be taking it easy and letting your injuries heal.

Legal services we offer


The team at S. Burke Law makes it easier for people like you to navigate the legal process and pursue compensation in College Park, Georgia. We can perform all of the following tasks and many more on your behalf:

  • Provide guidance: It is understandably difficult to think clearly about your own injuries. Your lawyer will help you make informed legal decisions.
  • Investigate your accident: We will collect evidence to prove that your injuries happened and that they are as severe as you say.
  • File forms: All paperwork must be filled out and submitted correctly, or your lawsuit may be dismissed. We can handle this paperwork for you.
  • Communicate with all parties: We will let you know if and when the insurance company offers a settlement or if the liable party wants to say something.
  • Fight for your money: Whether at the negotiating table or in the courtroom, we do everything possible to get our clients fair compensation.
  • Charge nothing up front: You will get no bills from us unless and until we win money for you.

How much compensation can I expect to recover?


Every case is unique, so it is impossible to predict how much you will receive without speaking to you personally. In the past, S. Burke Law has helped clients recover thousands of dollars and even up to one million dollars. It depends, among other things, on how serious your injuries are.


In your lawsuit, you (with your lawyer’s help) will need to list all of the ways that your accident has affected you. Then, you will classify each item as a non-economic damage or an economic damage. These terms are discussed below.


Non-economic damages


Your accident was physically and emotionally trying. To receive compensation for these injuries, you could sue for non-economic damages such as:

  • Disfigurement or scarring, i.e., any scar tissue severe enough to affect your appearance or interfere with your movements
  • Loss of consortium, i.e., the negative effect(s) the accident has had on your marriage
  • Pain and suffering, i.e., the negative effect(s) the accident has had on your health
  • Reduced quality of life, i.e., the negative effect(s) the accident has had on your lifestyle

Economic damages


Your accident cost you money and working hours. To receive compensation for these financial difficulties, you could sue for economic damages such as:

  • Medical expenses, i.e., the money you spent getting your injuries tested, diagnosed, and treated
  • Loss of wages or benefits, i.e., the money you normally earn from your job but had to give up to let your injuries heal
  • Loss of employment, i.e., the job and/or the field of employment that your injuries prevent you from returning to
  • Loss of earning capacity, i.e., the money you should have earned throughout your career but now cannot because of your injuries

What if my loved one did not survive their injuries?


The surviving relatives of those who passed away in a premises liability accident may be eligible for compensation. You can sue for some of the damages discussed above as they apply to your loved one, as well as additional damages like:

  • Loss of financial support, i.e., the money your loved one would have contributed to your household if not for their untimely death
  • End-of-life expenses, i.e., the money you spent to fulfill your loved one’s last wishes 
  • Loss of companionship, i.e., the fact that your loved one is no longer present to provide you and the rest of the family with support and comfort

What types of cases fall under premises liability law?


If you are on another person’s property legally, then the property owner has a responsibility to ensure your safety throughout your visit. Legal visitors include those who are:

  • Employed by the owner
  • Patronizing the owner’s business
  • Specifically invited by the owner

A property owner’s responsibilities


The owner must protect you by taking reasonable care of their property. This includes (but is not limited to):

  • Mowing the lawn
  • Trimming trees and foliage
  • Cleaning up spills or slick spots
  • Fixing broken walkways
  • Eliminating or reducing tripping hazards
  • Putting up appropriate warning signs

Failure to do any of the above in a timely manner leaves a property owner or the people they hire to maintain the property open to lawsuits. As a general rule, you have two years to begin a lawsuit against a negligent property owner.


Let S. Burke Law help you

At S. Burke Law, we are committed to protecting our clients’ rights in College Park, Georgia, and nearby communities. Our premises liability injury lawyers can give you the honest, friendly advice you are seeking. Call us at (404) 842-7838 and tell us about your case today. Remember: you owe us no fees until you receive compensation.